mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee This review is also posted on Mommy's Reading BreakThis book really surprised me. The description sounded good, but I just wasn’t sure what to expect. The book picks up right in the middle of Penryn, her mother, and her little sister, Paige, escaping their condo. We have no idea what’s going on or why they’re leaving, which immediately grabs you and makes you want to read.We also get a little bit of history to describe pertinent information. For example, Penryn is a good fighter, and we get a bit of history to find out why, which makes her more believable. Sometimes it’s nice to know a little bit of how people get to be who or how they are. There were some scenes that were a bit graphic and disturbing, but I thought it added to the story. As a world torn apart by a supernatural war, it makes sense that there would be things that aren’t pretty, that are gruesome and disturbing, and I like that even though this book is YA, it doesn’t shy away from portraying this situation realistically.I thought that the characters were well-developed and likable. Unlike a lot of female characters, Penryn is a strong 17-year-old girl. While she has her moments of insecurity and indecision, she never lets that overcome her, and honestly, it would be too unrealistic for a teenage girl to not be insecure with an unknown companion in such a dangerous world. Raffe is the intriguing and mysterious angel. Every time you learn something new about him, you find yourself with more questions. He even seems contradictory at times, but that just makes him more interesting.The ending disappointed me. Not because it was bad, but because it was just too much of a cliffhanger. Literally, only the immediate conflict was resolved, but there is so much left hanging that I literally wanted to throw my Kindle at the wall. I have so many questions that I want answers to NOW, but I don’t know when the next book is coming out! Goodreads says “expected publication 2013″ for book 2, but it’s not a definite book. I want to know NOW!Overall, I really enjoyed the story of Penryn and Raffe and am definitely interested in knowing more! I could have taken a little less of the gruesome scenes, as a wimp, but I definitely understand the necessity of them. I give it 4 stars!