mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
Spell Bound - Rachel Hawkins This review is also posted on Mommy's Reading BreakWhen we left Sophie at the end of Demonglass, Cal had just run back into Thorne Abbey to try to save Archer, Jenna, and Sophie’s father from the fire, and she was stepping into the Itineris to head to the Brannicks’ at Cal’s insistence. When Spell Bound picks up, Sophie has just stepped out of the Itineris and is wondering how smart it was to come to the Brannicks’, knowing what she does about them. She very quickly meets up with two of the Brannicks and realizes just how lost she is without her powers.At the Brannicks’ compound, Sophie learns some information that is supposed to be a big twist, but honestly, I saw it coming. She is completely shocked and unsure of how to handle the information at first, though. Also, we very quickly learn the fates of those Sophie left behind at Thorne Abbey, which made me happy. Sophie was agonizing over their fates, so I was glad that that was not drawn out.Spell Bound is divided into three parts. The first one was very slow-paced, as it took place at the Brannicks’ compound and consisted a lot of talking, studying, and strategizing. Part Two was also kind of slow-paced, but there was enough confusion and mystery going on that it was suspenseful. I never knew if or when something was going to happen, and I wasn’t sure what was going on. In the final section, Part Three, the pace finally picks up. Unfortunately, it is only approximately the last 70 pages of the book. The third part was definitely the best, though. We find out information that I didn’t even know I wanted, get a mystery as to something that may or may not happen, and experience the final showdown, complete with twists, turns, and hard decisions. For the most part, I really liked it, but there was one aspect of that final battle that I didn’t like. I also thought that the ending was kind of silly.I think that my favorite part of Spell Bound was the relationships, and I don’t just mean romantic ones. I liked seeing Sophie’s relationships grow and change, specifically with her parents, but with others as well, as she learns more about herself and her past. Something I didn’t particularly like was that Demonglass introduced a love triangle, which was continued in Spell Bound. I was disappointed in the way this triangle was concluded.Overall, I thought that Spell Bound was a good ending to the series, and I would recommend this series to those who like Paranormal, especially since it had several types of supernaturals that were either different or underrepresented in the Paranormals I’ve read.