mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
Daynight - Megan Thomason 2.5 stars rounded up to 3This review is also posted on Mommy's Reading BreakThis book was both a Kindle freebie and received from the author for review.Daynight is kind of a strange book, in that it doesn’t it into your typical dystopian novel. While it does take place in a dystopian (as in, opposite of utopian) society, it is not set in a futuristic, dystopian United State, or even Earth. The setting of Daynight is on Thera, Earth’s sister planet, which definitely puts it more in the sci-fi genre, in my opinion. Aside from the fact that it is on a different planet, once you learn about who the Second Chancers are and how they’ve come to be, it definitely feels more sci-fi. However, it does deal with humans, and not aliens, so it’s not too far in the sci-fi realm.Daynight was a hard book for me. Even almost a week after finishing it, I’m still having a hard time sorting out my feelings for it. There were definitely things that I liked and things that I didn’t like. It was a slow read for me, and I don’t just mean that it took me several days of not bothering to pick it up. It took me 12 hours of active reading time, which is very unusual for me for a book that is 314 (or 325, according to the paperback) pages. I don’t know if this is a mistake in the page numbers, or if I just really read this book super slowly! It didn’t feel like I was turning pages all that slowly, but maybe I was.Since I’m having a hard time formulating my thoughts into something coherent, I’m going to do this list-style. Things I LikedMultiple perspectives: Daynight was told from the alternating perspectives of Kira, Blake, and Ethan. Each chapter was from one perspective, and they didn’t necessarily always go in the same order. What was best about this, though, was that Megan would sometimes go back and retell a scene, especially if it was intense or important scene, from another character’s point-of-view. I thought that this was great because sometimes, you miss some important factors when looking at something from only one perspective.The characters: I thought that Kira was a strong female character (and it doesn’t hurt that one of my daughters shares her name! lol), and she had some funny moments as well. She was the only one who was really out of the loop throughout the story and having to figure things out and navigate this new world. When she signed on at the SCI, she really had no idea what she was getting herself into, and I found it fascinating to see how she handled her situations. Blake and Ethan are really interesting characters, especially when taken together. They both play big roles in Kira’s life, but they’re such very different people that it’s interesting to see the interaction. Some of my favorite scenes, though, included Blake and Ethan together!Plot Twists: There were definitely several plot twists in Daynight that I didn’t see coming, and that I really thought added to the story line.Risks: Also, Megan Thomason was not afraid to take risks. There are some disturbing and graphic scenes within Daynight, and I really liked that she didn’t shy away from them.Things I Didn’t LikeThe pacing: As I said before, for such a short book, this book took me a long time to read. Sometimes, I felt like the story just got bogged down with too much information about the day-to-day lives.Too much exposition: Sometimes I felt that things were overexplained in Daynight, either with a conveniently timed backstory or just too much description. I think this added to the slow-pacing.The love triangle: Ugh! Somehow I must have rushed through reading the description and didn’t connect that there would be a love triangle. I just agree with many people that love triangles are overdone, and this one just frustrated me.Too much story/ the ending: This one’s kind of hard to explain, but there were several moments within Daynight that I felt like the author was building up to an ending, and then it just kept going, and something new happened. I felt like there were several places where Daynight could have logically end, but didn’t. And then the actual end almost seemed random. Looking back, I can kind of see why it ended where it did, and it was probably a good place to end, but at the time I finished, I was slightly confused.Overall, I’m still not really sure how I felt about Daynight. I’m saying it’s a little more than just okay, but not quite as far as to say that I liked it. I guess I kinda liked it? I got invested enough into the story and characters that I will probably read future books in the series, but it definitely wasn’t one of my favorites.