mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
Twigs - Alison Ashley Formento This book was received from the publisher for review via Netgalley.After a friend of mine downloaded Twigs off of Netgalley, I read the description and thought it sounded pretty good, so I requested it as well. Unfortunately, i just couldn’t get into this book and only made it to 27% before I put it down.I’m not totally sure what it was about Twigs that I didn’t like, but I just was not connecting to the story.First, there’s Twigs, aka Madeline, who is the main character and narrator of the story. I just didn’t find her to be likable. She seems like a completely miserable human being who hates everything about life and doesn’t seem to have any redeeming qualities. And the other characters, such as her boss, mother, sister, and absentee father, didn’t really seem any better.At 27%, I also felt like not much happened, aside from a lot of whining from Twigs, and one very uncomfortable incident in an alley. I really didn’t feel like much else was going on, and I was bored. However, that alley incident made me completely uncomfortable. I just had dread curling in the pit of my stomach over what may have happened in that scene or will probably happen in a future scene, and honestly, it was just something that I wasn’t prepared to deal with during this reading.It’s hard to really say much about Twigs since I only made it to 27% before I gave up, but I don’t think it’s necessarily a horrible book. I think it would probably be good for someone who is looking for a darker, slower-paced, tough subject contemporary. However, it just wasn’t for me, and I decided not to force the issue.This review is also posted on my blog: http://mommysreadingbreak.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/dnf-arc-review-twigs-by-alison-ashley-formento/