mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins

Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily, #1)

Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily, #1) - Karen Amanda Hooper *This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.*This book was another that was really hard for me to rate and review. Both during reading and even after finishing, I just wasn't sure what I thought of it. Honestly, it wasn't until I sat down to write this review that I was able to figure out my feelings!The beginning was amazing. The prologue just kicked off with a bang, and by the end of it, I was literally thinking "Woah. Did that really just happen?"From there, though, I felt that it was more of an up and down journey. There were some really great, interesting scenes, but there were also some parts that just felt a little slow-moving. There were also some scenes where I was confused, but I think that was intentional, as we were seeing them from Maryah's perspective, and she had no clue what was going on at the time.There was plenty of mystery in this book. There are several big questions permeating the story as a whole and smaller things that pop up here and there. Most of the smaller things just have to do with learning more and figuring out the world of the Elements. These were actually some of my favorite parts.My biggest complaint was just that there were a lot of characters, specifically within the kindrily. It took me a long time, probably until about halfway through, before I could keep them straight. Though I still found myself getting them mixed up at times.The two main characters are Nathaniel and Maryah. I LOVED Nathaniel. He was so heartbroken, but completely fully of love. He was sweet and caring, but also fierce and strong when he needed to be. Maryah was a little bit frustrating to me. This may have been intentional, since we just want her to figure out what's going on! Don't get me wrong. She wasn't unlikable, just had some stubborn moments where I wanted to smack her! lol Harmony and April were good for a few laughs, and Louise was just an awesome mother figure. I also loved Carson, and his hot and cold attitude toward Maryah.Grasping at Eternity has a big twist towards the end that I didn't fully foresee, but I definitely had a feeling that something was going to happen. I thought it was really good, and the resolution was even better. There was also another scene that literally choked me up. It was actually a scene that I thought might come up (only toward the end), but it was one that made me so glad I was right! Grasping at Eternity left with a few things tied up nicely, but left a lot more loose ends, making me anxious for the next book!Overall, even though Grasping at Eternity was a bit slow at times, I thought that the storyline was very interesting, and that it was a very good start to the series. I would definitely recommend reading it, but maybe AFTER book 2 is out! lol I was left with so many questions that I'm mad I can't read the next book right now!