mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins

Just Like Fate

Just Like Fate - Cat Patrick, Suzanne Young This book was received from the publisher for review via Edelweiss.I first learned about Just Like Fate after reading an early review. (Unfortunately, I can't remember whose review it was now. Sorry!) It sounded pretty interesting to me, since as you know, I'm obsessed with alternate reality books right now, so I requested it.Just Like Fate starts off with Caroline being called out of class because her grandmother, who she has lived with since her parents' divorce, has had a stroke and is in the hospital. After several days of going to school during the day and then spending the evening at the hospital, Caroline's best friend, Simone, urges her to get out and have some fun for the night. At this point, similarly to Pivot Point by Kasie West, the story splits into the consequences of each decision, with alternating chapters. However, unlike with Pivot Point, there is no paranormal aspect as to why this happens. Honestly, I don't think there was any explanation, but I thought it was really cool to be able to see what would happen in either circumstance.Just Like Fate is definitely a contemporary novel that just happens to have two different stories going on at the same time. Caroline is a very troubled character. She moved in with her grandmother after her parents' divorce, and has a strained relationship with both of her parents and her older sister because of it. Without her grandmother, these relationships change a lot, obviously in different ways depending on which decision is playing out. However, Caroline is very insecure, so sometimes she got frustrating. As far as the other characters, I liked her sister, most of the time. It really depended on which scenario we were in because she had a lot of resentment toward Caroline. Simone was an awesome friend but seemed a little oblivious at times. I loved Chris, but I tended to second-guess him because Caroline did a lot. Joel made me want to vomit. Seriously, any time Caroline was with him, I ended up wanting to smack them both.There were some scenes that overlapped that I really liked. These were definitely the scenes where the title seemed to make sense, and they were some of my favorite parts of the book. The ending was really interesting, though I kind of expected it to some degree.Overall, I thought that Just Like Fate was a really fun contemporary novel with an alternate reality twist and would definitely recommend it!This review will also be posted on my blog, going live on 8/23/13.