mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
Bait (Hunted: Over My Spilled Blood, #1) - Joseph Eastwood Before reading this story, I was a little skeptical. At an estimated 18 pages, I was very unsure how it could fulfill what the synopsis claimed. I was under the impression that it was just an introduction to a larger series, but even an introduction needs to be good enough to capture the audience's attention and convince them to read the rest of the series.I have read some good, detailed, well-thought-out short stories (Edgar Allan Poe, anyone?), so I knew better than to judge a story based solely on its length. However, I was disappointed in Bait. The synopsis sounded very good, and there were definitely some promising parts of the story, but overall, I found it lacking. There were several times that I found myself rereading entire sections because I was just confused. I didn't understand what was going on, and sometimes it felt like I missed things. However, due to the short length, I decided to reread it before writing my review, to see if I could understand things a little better, knowing where the story would end up.After my second read, I did understand what was actually happening in the story a bit more, but I still felt that it needed more development. There are a history and relationships that are hinted at but never fully explained. I feel that Bait has the right idea of where it wants to go, but that it needs some more development in the story. At the end of the story, there is an About the Author section with some author's notes that I found important. First, Over My Spilled Blood is planned to be a series of unrelated short stories, not one continuous series. However, the author states that there will be a sequel to Bait, entitled Baited. I will reserve complete judgment of Bait until I have read Baited. Baited may be able to expand on the story that was just barely hinted at in Bait, but as a standalone, I found Bait to be lacking.