mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
The Shades of Fate (Little Orphan Anvil, #2) - Joseph Beekman This book takes place several years after the first book. It started off with the action and jumped right into the plot very quickly, which I enjoyed. I got through the first 1/4 - 1/3 of this book fairly quickly. From there, I felt it slowed down a bit. I like a lot of action in my books, so this bugged me a little.However, I must say that I did find the descriptions and the story to be well written. It definitely focused more on the journey and less on the conclusion. In that way, it reminded me of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. It was well written, and people loved it, but for me, it just never picked up to a pace I enjoyed. But if you don't mind or even like slower paced books with vivid description, then this book (and trilogy so far) would be a very good read. Like I said, the book isn't bad, just not my style.I felt that the conclusion was a little rushed, but it also seemed that that wasn't the main point of this story, that it was more about the journey. There was a bit of a cliffhanger at the end, to set up the intro to the third book.