mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
Fairest of All - Sarah Mlynowski I read Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn’t Have) by Sarah Mlynowski early last year. It wasn’t the greatest book, but I liked it. When I saw that she had a children’s book out, I thought it looked cute. Then my 9-year-old niece got it, and I asked if I could borrow it.Fairest of All is a retelling of Snow White’s story, and it was really cute. It was a super quick read (170 pages in under 2 hours!), but it was fun, too!The book is told from Abby’s perspective, a 10-year-old girl with aspirations of being a judge when she grows up. She’s the most responsible, and probably smartest, 10-year-old I’ve ever “known”.I watched the Disney version of Snow White not that long ago, and I certainly didn’t love it as much as I did when I was a kid. She’s too prim, her voice is too high, and it’s just kind of boring. But Sarah Mlynowski reinvents the story in a totally believable, 2000′s kind of way. I definitely found it more interesting, and the twist at the end was great!In short, I would highly recommend this book for anyone who has ever liked fairy tales, especially Snow White. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series!