mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) - Cynthia Hand Wow. Another great book from Cynthia Hand. This one really gripped me, and I did not want to stop reading!Hallowed starts off about 3 days after the end of Unearthly, as Clara and Tucker survey the damage the fire did. Immediately, you get the feeling that things aren’t going to stay happy and easy between them. Right from chapter 1, Clara is keeping secrets from Tucker. However, it also picks up with some questions that are left over from the previous book, not answering them right away, but just reminding you that they’re there.At the same time, Clara starts having a recurring dream that may or may not be a vision, and she’s still very confused about her relationship with Christian. School starts up again, and it becomes very difficult for her to avoid him. Once Clara confides her dream/vision to Angela and Christian, the story really picks up and runs off.This book is full of wonderful twists and turns. Just when you think what’s going on, a curve ball comes, and you find you really have no idea. There are so many surprises, both wonderful and heart-breaking, that this book just really kept me guessing. We really get to see Clara grow and come into herself more in this book. She learns more about her status as an angel-blood and other things that will help her on her way.Unfortunately, while Hallowed really is an amazing story that kept me guessing, there were some heart-wrenching scenes that just made me too sad. There was one thing toward the end that I wasn’t really happy with it, though I saw it coming, and that’s why I took a way half a star. Overall, though, this was an absolutely wonderful book, and I would definitely recommend it!