mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
Sever - Lauren DeStefano This review is also posted on my blog: Mommy's Reading Break the whole reason I picked up the Chemical Garden trilogy when I did was because I kept seeing angry tweets about Sever and had to know what all the fuss was about, so I was very excited when I finally got my hands on Sever! It was a beautiful ending to the series. I’m amazed that almost two weeks after finishing it, I still find myself thinking about the events that took place in Sever and still having a hard time processing my feelings for it.Sever has the same slower pace as its predecessors, but I felt that it was a good slowness, like Wither, as opposed to the frustration I experienced while reading Fever. At the beginning of Sever, Rhine is getting out of the hospital and going to stay with Linden’s uncle Reed. As she learns more about Reed and Vaughn’s past and tries to figure out how she’s going to find her brother, everything seems almost mundane on the surface, but knowing that Vaughn is still out there and able to manipulate almost every situation to his benefit, I found a constant undercurrent of tension. Even happy moments left me with unease, knowing that at any moment, Vaughn could pop in and ruin everything.What I loved most about Sever is that old characters that you may have forgotten about come back, and several times, they are tied together in crazy ways that I never saw coming. I loved how Lauren DeStefano was able to make everything make sense, even things that seemed completely unrelated. Even the biggest villains seemed to be slightly humanized over the course of Sever. Don’t get me wrong, they were still villains, but there was a bit more understanding on my part for the reasons behind their actions.I also really loved seeing the interactions between Rhine, Linden, and Cecily. I think this is what I missed most while reading Fever. Though Linden seemed to be the bad guy for a lot of Wither, we quickly find out that he’s just as trapped, albeit in a different way, as Rhine. It’s amazing to see their relationships and individual personalities grow.I knew going into Sever that chapter 24 was going to be heart-wrenching, and I spent most of the book trying to figure out what could possibly be so heartbreaking. I won’t spoil it for you, but it absolutely was heartbreaking. I sobbed while reading this and subsequent chapters. I could not have predicted what would happen, and I’m still not over it. In all honesty, I’m a little mad at Lauren over it. However, I’m also far enough removed to realize that I don’t think any of the very important events that occurred after chapter 24 could have happened without it. It definitely set up the rest of the book. There’s a lot more I want to say about it, but unfortunately, I can’t do that without spoilers, so I guess I’ll just let you read and see for yourself!Overall, I really loved Sever. I thought it was a beautiful conclusion to the series, and it was definitely full of emotions. Over the course of reading Sever, I was happy, sad, amused, confused, surprised, proud, and devastated. It was definitely a roller coaster ride of emotions, but I thought that it was so well written, and everything made sense. I was going to take away half a star for my heartbreak, but I realize in writing this review how necessary it was, and I’m giving Sever a full 5 stars!