mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
Gone (Gone, #1) - Michael  Grant This review was originally posted on my blog, Mommy's Reading BreakI bought Gone back in December 2012. It was on sale, part of Epic Reads‘ The End is Here feature. However, I finally decided to pick it up when a group I’m in on Goodreads decided to do a buddy read of it.The premise of Gone sounded really interesting to me, and I thought it started off really strongly. I mean, literally, the adults disappear out of nowhere right on the first page. I felt I was going to be a little frustrated, though, because Gone is a fairly long book (583 pages), and I was immediately dying to know what was going on! I mean, everyone age 15 and older just “poofed”. I mean, they disappeared out of nowhere.However, things went downhill really fast for me with Gone. I mean, as a mom, it was really hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that everyone over the age of 14 disappeared from this town. That meant that there were little kids wandering around parentless, and what if there were no older children in a family? It’s possible that there were babies just left hanging out alone at their houses, with no one to take care of them. Honestly, the thought of it made me sick. But several people participating in the buddy read were raving about how much they loved the book, so I kept going.It was a struggle for me. Aside from the underlying issue that I already mentioned that was running through my subconscious the whole time I was reading, I just felt that the pacing was slow or something. I don’t know, but I just wasn’t interested. I posted several times within the buddy read thread that I wasn’t impressed. I think I was at 38% and seriously considering DNF’ing, but I kept going. I hate DNF’ing, and again, I was seeing a bunch of people talk about how much they were enjoying it.There was a certain scene, hmm, maybe around 40-45%, I’m not really sure, that bothered me so much that I literally thought about throwing my kindle on the couch and forgetting this book. Even now, thinking back on it just makes me shudder. So freaking disturbing.The pace picked up a bit for maybe the last 20% or so, I’m not really sure, and I managed to power through it, but honestly, I was still just not really into it. I didn’t really enjoy it, and I was still more than a little disturbed. Without spoiling anything, let me just say that there are some really evil characters in Gone. I mean, we all know that there are bullies in high school, but without any adults to keep them in line, some of the kids are really evil. There is one character in particular who is a complete sadist, and nothing seems to phase him or make him feel remorseful. Oh yeah, and he’s fourteen. I don’t know, I guess I just couldn’t get over the age thing.I was disappointed with the ending because I still had a lot of questions, but I feel that was set-up for the rest of the series, or at least for the next book in the series. However, I’m not curious enough to read 5 more long books. I might google some spoilers just to find out what happened, but I don’t plan on continuing the series.As I said before, I’ve seen several people enjoy Gone, so I won’t say to avoid it, but it was definitely not for me, and I can’t recommend it.