mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins
7-Minute Marriage Solution, The: 7 Things to Start! 7 Things to Stop! 7 Things that Matter Most! - Stephen Arterburn I received this book for review from the publisher via Netgalley.Considering that I primarily read Young Adult Fiction, the fact that I requested an Adult Nonfiction book from Netgalley may seem a little strange. However, I like to read all sorts of things, and I am a married woman. My husband and I have been married for almost 9 years, and we have our ups and downs. We are not on the brink of divorce, but we are also certainly not perfect. I thought that The 7-Minute Marriage Solution sounded like a good read, something that would help make our marriage better and stronger, and I went into it with high expectations.Unfortunately, it just wasn’t the book for me. First, the blurb on the front talks about “Scientific Research”, but I felt a lot of it came from Christianity. I do believe in God, and I would technically classify myself as a Christian (I guess), but I’m not very religious, and even if I were, I didn’t go into this book looking for or expecting a highly Christian approach.I will admit that I only made it to 33%. I didn’t even finish the section on 7 Behaviors to Stop. Okay, so at 224 pages, 33% is approximately 75 pages. That’s not much for the most part, but I felt like it dragged. I kept reading sections over and over and was just confused. Most importantly, I felt like what I did read didn’t deliver on its promises. For example, one of the 7 behaviors to stop is having unrealistic expectations of your partner. I don’t know about you, but for me, this was a no-brainer. Obviously, having unrealistic expectations is not healthy for your relationship. However, I didn’t feel like Arterburn gave any solid advice on how to do some of the things he was suggesting. When things are easier said than done, they don’t really help.I didn’t hate The 7-Minute Marriage Solution, and in fact, I may go back and skim certain sections if I feel they apply to me or my marriage, but it just wasn’t a book that I could sit down and read cover-to-cover.