mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins

Pivot Point

Pivot Point - You can also read this and other reviews on my blog, Mommy's Reading BreakPivot Point is another one of those books from HarperTeen that I heard about on Epic Reads, and I was really excited to read it. When it came in for me at the library, I was thrilled.Alternate universes and the like seem to be a new trend in the YA genre, and I’m loving it. I think it’s really cool to see how different choices can lead to different paths. What was cool about Pivot Point was that there was a paranormal element that led to the alternate futures. Addie lives in the Compound, a secret community of people with supernatural abilities. Addie’s ability is to be able to see the two outcomes that would occur depending on what decision she made. When her parents get divorced, she has a choice of which parent to live with, and when she Searches to make her decision, it leads to the majority of the plot and story of Pivot Point.I thought that the characters in Pivot Point were really great, especially with some of their abilities. Addie is a completely likable girl, and I think that her ability is one of the coolest ever. Who wouldn’t like the ability to see exactly what the outcomes would be when faced with a difficult decision? Her parents also have interesting abilities: Her mother has the power of persuasion, and her father is a human lie detector. Honestly, that wasn’t hugely developed in the story, but it definitely helped form some of the backstory to see some of why Addie is who she is. Her best friend, Laila, really is a great friend, along with the cool power to erase memories. Also, let’s not forget the fact that there are two really cool boys that Addie becomes involved with, one in each future, Trevor (the Norm) and Duke (the telekinetic).The chapters in Pivot Point switch off between Addie’s life with her mom in the paranormal Compound and her “Norm” life with her father. I thought it was really interesting to see the differences, but what I liked even better was on the occasions that we got to see the same event from both perspectives. Obviously, whether or not Addie is on the Compound would make a difference on how the actual events would play out, but I thought it was interesting to see that certain events would happen with either decision, and I really enjoyed the overlap.Throughout Pivot Point, there’s also a bit of a mystery, with the murders occurring on the Compound, and I thought that the resolution of that storyline was brilliant. I never saw it coming, not even the slightest little hint. The ending of the book was great, too. It was awesome to see how the events unfolded and what would lead Addie to make her choice, not to mention which choice she made. Most of the loose ends were tied up, so I’m not sure exactly what to expect from the sequel, since Pivot Point is supposed to be part of a series, but I can’t wait. I thought this was a great story, and I’m excited to read more! I would highly recommend Pivot Point, especially if you’re interested in parallel/alternate reality stories.