mrso822

Mommy's Reading Break

I'll read almost anything if it sounds good, but I tend to read mostly YA, and a lot of those are paranormal or dystopian. I have started to branch out into more contemporary lately.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Jim Dale, J.K. Rowling
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Kevin Collins

The Madman's Daughter

The Madman's Daughter - This review was originally posted on my blog2.5 stars rounded up to 3I have heard many people rave about how good The Madman’s Daughter is, so I put it on hold at the library and read it when it came in. It didn’t fully sound like my type of book, but I’ve had others surprise me, so I decided to give it a chance. I didn’t hate it, so I don’t regret reading it, but I probably should have gone with my gut. I certainly didn’t love it. Honestly, I’m still trying to decide, almost 2 weeks after finishing it, whether I liked it or just thought it was okay.As it says in the description, The Madman’s Daughter is a retelling of The Island of Dr. Moreau. I was not familiar with this story, so I looked it up on Wikipedia before starting. I kind of wish I hadn’t, and I kind of wish that the fact that it is inspired by The Island of Dr. Moreau wasn’t stated in the description. I think it took away a lot of what could have made the book so much better for me. I should have gone into it blind.The Madman’s Daughter starts off with Juliet in London, orphaned and working as a cleaning lady at the local college to earn a meager living. After going to a party, she sees something that she shouldn’t have, which leads her to believe her father is a live. She goes in search of clues and finds out that he is when she runs into their old servant boy, Montgomery, who disappeared at the same time as her father. After running into some trouble, Juliet goes back to Montgomery and demands he take her back to the island to see her father. Along the way, they find a castaway who is almost dead, and Juliette convinces Montgomery and the captain of the ship taking them to the island to save his life. Here inevitably starts a completely absurd and, in my opinion, unnecessary love triangle between Juliet, Montgomery, and the castaway, Edward.Honestly, I think I have two major complaints about The Madman’s Daughter, but they kind of tie together. First, I just felt it was a bit too long. There were several scenes that I felt were unnecessary and drawn out. Part of the problem, I think, is that as the reader, if you’re familiar with the story of Dr. Moreau, then you know a lot of what’s going on on the island. However, Juliet is clueless, so we spend a lot of time with her wondering and just being in the dark. I felt that that got old really quickly, and I just wanted her to figure out what was going on. Like I said, if I hadn’t read the plot of The Island of Dr. Moreau, this may not have felt as drawn out to me, and I may have been on the edge of my seat, along with Juliet, wanting to know what was going on. Unfortunately, I did know what was going on, so it took out a lot of the mystery, and it frustrated me and made Juliet seem naive and ignorant.I don’t remember everything about the book, but I do remember making a comment to my mother around page 250 wondering what on earth could possibly happen in the 170 more pages. A lot did happen, and the ending was actually pretty good, including a few twists that I didn’t see coming.Overall, I thought that The Madman’s Daughter was a decent read, but that it may have benefitted from a little cutting. Like I said, I felt it was a little long and drawn out in places. But it still wasn’t horrible.Apparently, The Madman’s Daughter is going to be part of a series, but for me, I actually liked the ending. I thought it tied things up fairly nicely, and I was satisfied. I feel no urge to read the sequel, however, I might, if I hear good things about it. I don’t really like to not finish series, but it’s definitely not one that I feel is a must read for me. Since I still can’t decide how I feel about it, I’m going to give it 2.5 stars.